Type: 5 week internship during Summer Session (June – Early July)
Our Mission: We are driven by our mission to foster hope in God by closing the achievement gap and preparing our students for college and beyond. We are fueled by our love for God and his care for every one of our students which motivates us to get better every day. Join our team of mission-driven brothers and sisters to work hard, do good, and make a difference.
Very Important: Before applying please read and carefully review our Mission + Vision, our Faith & Life Covenant, and our guiding principles about Cultural Harmony. All board members, faculty and staff are joining a covenant community in serving here at Hope Academy.
Application closes March 6th, 2023.
Over the course of the Covid-19 pandemic, Minneapolis students experienced a series of compounding crisis with significant and lasting consequences. From the massive learning loss associated with distance learning, the murder and fallout of George Floyd, to the mental health realities of extended isolation, students re-entering school buildings are bringing the trauma of the pandemic along with them.
At the same time, schools have never less equipped to meet the challenge of providing an excellent education in the urban context. The twin realities of a national teacher shortage and of an ongoing “cultural gap” in the ratio of non-white teachers to non-white students has created a context in which the challenge has never been greater.
The Hope Academy Summer Teacher Residency was created to meet the challenges facing urban schools directly by training, hiring, and retaining a teacher staff that continually grows to reflect the diversity of our Minneapolis student body.
The Residency is a 5-Week intensive internship during Hope Academy’s summer school. Hope has mandatory summer school for grades K-8 with the express intention of mitigating summer learning loss among out students. Summer Residents are a vital piece of our summer programming and can expect to become highly experienced in the culture, values, and practices of Hope Academy as the internship progress.
- – Residency runs from June – Early July
- – Residents earn a $ 2,000 stipend
- – Week 1: Intro to Teaching Professional Development
- – Week 2-3: Student-Teaching (Co-Teaching)
- – Week 4-5: Student Teaching (Lead Teaching)
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans that facilitate engaged learning.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing effective rules and procedures.
- Intentionally build relationships with students and families.
- Attend and engage with Professional Development trainings throughout the summer.
- Demonstrate ability to engage with and grow in culturally competent teaching strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Path to completing a BA or BS is required.
- 3 years of college preferred.
- Willingness to go above and beyond in building relationships with students.
- Teaching/Mentoring experience preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Somali is a plus.
- Supportive of the school’s mission to foster hope in God within the inner-city neighborhood of Minneapolis by providing youth with an outstanding, Christ-centered education.
This stipend position pays $2,000 through the 5 weeks of the program. Residents are paid once after the first two weeks and once at the end of the program. Residency participants will receive a 1099 at the end of the year for tax purposes.
(Application closes March 6th, 2023)