Join us for the summer!
The Summer Residency is a 5-week instructional internship for prospective teachers during our K-8 Summer Session.
It was created to directly train, hire, and retain individuals that reflect the diversity of our Minneapolis student body. Summer Residents are a vital piece of our summer programming, and will receive both training and experience for teaching in an urban, God-centered environment!
June – Early July
All our Summer Teacher Residents receive:
- 1:1 coaching
- $2,000 stipend
- Support from mentor teacher
- Pedagogical training (trauma, justice, ELL, etc.)
- Lodging for out of town students
- 4 day weeks with Friday’s off!
Frequently Asked Questions
The Residency is a 5-Week intensive internship during Hope Academy’s summer school. Hope has mandatory summer school for grades K-8 with the express intention of mitigating summer learning loss among out students. Summer Residents are a vital piece of our summer programming and can expect to become highly experienced in the culture, values, and practices of Hope Academy as the internship progress.
Week 1: Intro to Teaching Professional Development
Week 2-3: Student-Teaching (Co-Teaching)
Week 4-5: Student Teaching (Lead Teaching)
- Path to completing a BA or BS is required.
- Three years of college preferred.
- Willingness to go above and beyond in building relationships with students.
- Teaching/Mentoring experience preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Somali is a plus.
- Supportive of the school’s mission to foster hope in God within the inner-city neighborhood of Minneapolis by providing youth with an outstanding, Christ-centered education.
Summer Session is Monday – Thursday from 8:00 am – 3 pm.
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans that facilitate engaged learning.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing effective rules and procedures.
- Intentionally build relationships with students and families.
- Attend and engage with Professional Development trainings throughout the summer.
- Demonstrate ability to engage with and grow in culturally competent teaching strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Today we serve 587 students in grades K-12, with a vision of growing to 700 students.
This stipend position pays $2,000 through the 5 weeks of the program. Residents are paid once after the first two weeks and once at the end of the program. Residency participants will receive a 1099 at the end of the year for tax purposes.
Hope Academy serves hundreds of students K-12 from many diverse cultures and ethnicities: primarily African, African American, multi-racial, Hispanic, and Caucasian. Approximately 1/3 of our students speak more than one language at home. Teachers and staff work hard to provide a classroom and community where every child is known, loved, and able to pursue his or her best; and where families from all different cultures and backgrounds feel welcome. Even though Hope Academy is growing, our students and parents continue to say that it feels like a family.
Applications will open on December 1st, 2022 and close on March 6th, 2023.