Athletic & Activities Director – Part to Full-time
Our Mission: We are driven by our mission to foster hope in God by closing the achievement gap and preparing our students for college and beyond. We are fueled by our love for God and his care for every one of our students which motivates us to get better every day. Join our team of mission-driven brothers and sisters to work hard, do good, and make a difference.
*Very Important: Before applying please read and carefully review our Mission + Vision, our Faith & Life Covenant, and our guiding principles about Cultural Harmony. All board members, faculty and staff are joining a covenant community in serving here at Hope Academy.
Vision for the Position: As a passionate follower of Jesus, the next person called to lead Hope Academy Athletics will be a contagious storyteller who is able to cast a clear and compelling vision for making athletics at Hope a transformative experience for our athletes, coaches, parents, and the residents of our city. Compelled by a love of learning, he or she will also possess the emotional and cultural intelligence needed to deeply connect with urban teenagers, as well as the tenacity to help our coaches build a thick team experience that leaves a lasting mark on our student athletes for all eternity.
Position Summary: The Athletic Director will provide vision and lead the school’s athletic programs, activities, and physical education department.
- Member of the Upper School Leadership Team.
- Leads and casts vision for Hope Academy athletics and activities.
- Recruits, hires, trains, equips, and evaluates coaches to fulfil the vision for athletics.
- Actively measures the success of the vision and holds coaches and teams accountable to that vision.
- Establishes a culture for athletics and activities where young men and women grow spiritually, in character, and in skills, and are excited to participate.
- Looks for ways to develop “student athletes” and desires to partner with the academic side of the school for success. Assist those looking to play sports in college.
- Views communication with staff and parents as a way to build trust and confidence in the program and school, and develops partnerships with parents.
- Prominent role in student leadership development (which will likely include involvement in the House System and the Student Leadership Team).
- Oversees the athletics budget and works with the Assistant Athletic Director to ensure that all logistical aspects of athletics and activities are being followed through.
- Represents Hope Academy, attends trainings, and obtains necessary certifications for participation in the Minnesota State High School League.
- Oversees scheduling of C-Team, Junior Varsity, and Varsity schedules and coordination of home competitions.
- Ensures the youth programs (currently soccer and basketball) align with the vision for athletics.
- Oversees initiatives related to player development (training, camps).
- Responsible for holding students accountable to more serious infractions (suspensions, Academic Probation, and ineligibility that result from those).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Excellent managerial and communication skills.
- Ability to create, execute, and implement budgets.
- Ability to plan and implement teaching and coaching assignments.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in athletic administration or equivalent training and experience preferred.
- At least five years of experience as a physical education instructor and/or athletic coach preferred.
General Faculty Qualifications
- Supportive of the school’s mission to foster hope in God within the inner-city neighborhood of Minneapolis by providing youth with an outstanding, Christ-centered education.
- Ability to effectively educate in a multi-racial, multi-ethnic, and economically under-resourced urban community.
- Desire to equip the children of the city with an academically rigorous, comprehensive, classical Christian education to prepare them to deal with the complex issues of living in this present society.
- Willingness to go above and beyond in building relationships with students.